Saturday, June 06, 2009

Don't Ask Don't Tell

When Don't ask, don't tell was first implemented as military policy during the Clinton administration, I could see the inherent flaws involved. At the time I asked my big brother, an ex-marine (okay, no such thing as an ex-marine--Semper Fi bro) how he felt about gays in the military. Best as I can recall, his answer was somewhat like this:
Say me and another guy are pinned down behind a rock under heavy fire. We have limited ammo, and the other guy is a flaming queer o'sexual and a crack shot. One shot--one kill. Hell I'll kiss him right on the mouth, tongue, no tongue, his choice. Now say the same scenario but the other guy is a homophobe hetero. But he is a titty sucking lightweight, firing into the air, using his weapon like a noise maker, hoping to scare off the enemy.

Now we only have so many bullets. I'll let you draw your own conclusion as to who the first sonofabitch is I shoot.

The point being, in life and death situations you want the best qualified individual standing next to you. In times like that lifestyles are so far down the priority list as to be irrelevant. Repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

1 comment:

RD said...

Way to "out" your own brother dude.... nobody asked, shouldn't have told.